Thursday, February 26, 2009

June 1st Can't Come Soon Enough, I Need My Conan Fix


Weeknights will never be the same. There have been only three weeknights since the departure of Conan O'Brien from Late Night and I am already feeling a void. Ever since staying up late became the cool thing to do back in 6th grade (circa year 2000) Conan O'Brien has been my night time go to. As I grew older, I watched it more and more often and now being a 20 and having to pull 50 hour weeks between work and school, I am in need of Conan more than ever. His farewell episode this past Friday nearly brought me to tears. Bringing back my middle school favorite Andy Richter and playing even more of his best sketches definitely made it a classic Conan. At the end his association of David Letterman with Late Night had no real meaning for me or my generation. Letterman has never really brought me to the same stratosphere of laughter as some of Conan's classic moments (My personal favorites are definitely when he takes a trip to a Napa Valley Winery and when he made his own boy band. The only Letterman interview that has ever shot me into stitches is the recent one with Joaquin Phoenix; totally bizarre). I know Letterman invented the role, but Conan refined it to perfection.

I had grown up with Late Night With Conan O'Brien. I got through my Power Ranger phase, Disney Channel Original Movie phase, my Even Stevens phase, my Clarissa Explains It All phase and even my deep Doug and Boy Meets World phases, but I will never get through my Late Night with Conan O'Brien phase.

I wish Conan the best of luck with Late Night, and I can't wait for him to get back on the air. Sound off with your favorite Conan sketches and interviews with your replies!

No comments:

Post a Comment